Black sesame seeds (kalangi) adds a nice aromatic flavour to the cookies
1 kg of Semolina flour
320 gm of granulated sugar
300 gm of sweet butter
2 teaspoons quick rise yeast
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground mahleb (found at Middle Eastern Stores)
1/4 cup black sesame seeds (optional)
1/4 cup rose water
1/4 cup orange flower water
½ cup warm water
1. In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in sugar, continue stirring to dissolve sugar. Do not boil. Remove from heat and let cool slightly,
2. Measure flours into a large bowl. Add melted butter, spices, and sesame seeds; stir slowly for about 10 minutes to thoroughly blend ingredients. And the Semolina soaks all the butter sugar mixture and turns to crumbly texture. Cover and let it rest for an hour or two.
3. melt the yeast in ½ cup of warm water, and when its ready add it to the mix and start kneading so it incorporate and mix well , add 2 tbsp of rose water and orange blossom in a small bowl, and dip your hands in the flavored water and knead the dough , if more liquid needed add more of the flavored water. Cover and let it rest for 3-4 hours, it will rise slowly.
4. Prepare 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut the dough into small balls, and using the palm of your hand to roll the dough into a 5 inches long rope and I inch thick, make a wreath shaped cookie, pinching the ends together. Place on a baking sheet. When you have filled a baking sheet, cover the cookies with a clean towel and leave it on the table overnight to rest the dough.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake cookies in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Note: Mahleb is a Middle Eastern spice made from ground black-cherry pits. Used to flavor baked goods with a subtle, sweet/nutty taste, can be found at Middle Eastern Stores.
as well as Rose water and orange blossom, also come see me at the Downtown North Bay Farmer's Market
Cardamom,Saffron & Dates Klisha with Semolina Cookies