8 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Onions, 1 chopped, 1 sliced
1 Clove Garlic, crushed
Large pinch Saffron Strands
1/4 teasp Ground Cinnamon
1 teasp Cumin Powder
Salt and Black Pepper
Finely grated rind of 2 Lemons
8 Large Dates, stoned and chopped
2 tbsp Fresh Coriander, chopped
1.4kg/3lb Leg of Lamb, partly boned
2 Cinnamon Sticks, broken into short lengths
1. Heat 4 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan, add the chopped onion and crushed garlic and fry gently until soft and golden. Add the saffron, cinnamon, cumin and seasoning - stir well. Take off the heat and add the lemon and dates. Stir to mix and set aside until cold.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas mark 6. Mix the fresh coriander into the stuffing and use to stuff the lamb. Secure with skewers or sew up the stuffed pocket.
3. Put the meat in a roasting tin and brush with 2 tbsp oil. Season well and surround with the cinnamon sticks. Roast for 1 hour 30 minutes, basting from time to time.
4. 10 minutes before the meat is cooked, fry the sliced onion in the remaining oil until golden and crisp.
5. To Serve - top the lamb with the fried onion and cinnamon sticks.