Monday, March 30, 2009

The best fish and chips stand from your own kitchen

Best fish & chips meal
Yes you read right, the best fish and chips stand from your own kitchen
I was testing a batter recipe to use for fruit dumplings or fritters, i was debating to use citric acid or alum powder .

I tried using lemon juice and/or orange juice, the amount i was using left a sour taste and the batter did not have the constancy...One day I decided to use vinegar.  I said to myself  I tried everything, why not the vinegar, since I use it for cleaning and shining glass, there must be another use for it… and it worked like magic.

I created a good batter to be used for fruit dumpling and fritters,  so i decided to give this batter a test on my cod.  I prepared the same recipe and used it as a fish batter, it was perfect, stayed crunchy and puffed, and it was the best batter to dip your fish, without using beer.
Go ahead and try my recipe and let me know … keep the Corona in the fridge cold to drink it with the fish and chips and cheers to the best taste.

Fish Batter:
1 1/2 cups of flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
Dash of sugar
¾ tsp salt
1 ¼ cup of water
2 tsp vinegar – not the pickling type
This batter is enough to coat around 7-8 fillets
Use a firm salt water fish, either Cod, Halibut, or similar firm texture fish.
Mix the batter well to avoid any lumps
Direction:
In a bowl add the first 6 ingredients, using a whisk to beat the flour and the rest of the ingredients to avoid any lumps….hold on the vinegar until you are ready to fry the fish add and stir.



Dry the fish on paper towel before you dip in the batter you can cut the fish in half , to fit better




Fry the fish in hot oil one at a time, to maintain the same temperature

During this time heat your oil either is a heavy duty cast iron pot or deep fryer, when the oil is ready and registered 350 - 375 max add the vinegar to the batter and stir well, dip the fish fillet in the batter, and dip it back and forth in the hot oil to avoid splashing then release it to fry and when it starts to cook and turns golden brown on the sides flip to the other side and continue cooking.
Tartar Sauce

For the Tartar Sauce:
½ cup of mayo
3 large dill pickled cucumbers – finely chopped (preferably home made)
1 tbsp of capers chopped
1 tbsp of pickled juice or 1 tbsp of lemon juice
½ tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix the above ingredients and serve with it over the fish.

Enjoy.

7 comments:

Amal said...

Marhaba Arlette, une recette bien tentante que je n'ai jamais encore essayé.. une assiette qui donne envie! bonne journée

Arlette said...

Bonjour Amal
Merci boucoup Cheri,....Try it and let me know

Bonne Journee

Maggie said...

This sounds like a wonderfully flavorful batter! I love sprinkling malt vinegar on top of fish and chips and can't wait to see how it tastes cooked into the batter.

Nazarina A said...

Hi Arlette,
It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Thanks for stopping by. I find this experiment with the vinegar very informative indeed and the fish does indeed look crunchy and delicious.
I shall definitely give it a try. I am also like Maggie, I sprinkle the malt vinegar on my fish and chips( a British fetish). Your idea makes so much sense!!!
Sometimes I use seltzer water and potato starch that also gives an excellent crunch. Normally I have nothing left for the next day to test for that crunchiness LOL!!!

The Rambler said...

I'm a week late...but I'm here :)

Thank you so much for visiting me on my SITS day!!

xoxo~The Rambler @ My Rambling Thoughts

saveur et delice said...

hello,your recipe look delicious ,yammi.
Have a nice day

BC said...

This has me intrigued - I haven't made a gluten free batter yet but we love fish and chips. We'll have to tackle this one soon.