Friday, January 22, 2010

Apple Dumpling with Caramel Sauce - My Way

I am sharing with you a simple and elegant dessert, for apple dumpling, which I like to serve when I have a dinner party, or friends visiting . The recipe consists of sable dough and apples, where you can prepare the apples, stuff them, wrap them with the dough and leave them in the fridge until you are ready to eat, put them in the oven and let the aroma fill the house and every one will hurry to be in the kitchen waiting for dessert to come out of the oven.


The recipe was born when I had some leftover sable dough waiting in the freezer asking to be used, and some apples in the fridge .
This is one of the desserts I prepared for Christmas Dinner at my inlaws. I took the tray with the Baked Turkey,Gravy and the stuffing. and bake it when we were having supper.
Dough: Pate Sable
2 cups flour, 3/4 cup + tbsp sweet butter, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 egg, cold milk to mix
Usually I prepare a big batch , divide it and freeze it .
Apples: Big firm apples to hold their shape during baking, like Red Delicious or Gala.
Stuffing: Any kind of toasted nuts you have I used the leftover walnut and almond mix from the Baklawa. Dried fruits like raisin and apricots , couple spoons of breadcrumbs to mix with the stuffing. cinnamon and nutmeg . If I am short on dried fruit and have homemade mincemeat in the fridge I add it, with some nuts, sometimes I mix pistachios, cardamom, and apricots . The sky is the limit Choose the right combination of spices, nuts and dried fruit which will work with apples.
Thick baking tray: I prefer a thick Pyrex tray or stainless steel If using Pyrex glass tray, use a baking sheet under, so that the caramel doesn't burn before the dumplings are cooked.
Caramel: caramelized sugar (light color) butter and cream, mix with the cooked sugar and pour in the bottom of the tray. .sometimes I use homemade pure maple syrup with melted butter


Egg Wash : to brush the dumplings before baking
Wth a brush grease the tray well up to the top sides, when the sugar starts cooking and bubling up. ... don't worry if the caramel is too much you will have enough to drizzle on top of the apples when you serve them warm, with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream.




If you don't have the time to stuff every apple then wrap it with a dough, clean and quarter the apples, and roll a piece of dough around a quarter with some stuffing . The taste is the same but its not a conversational piece .
Ready for the tray
Clean , Core and stuff then wrap in the dough

use the leftover dough to design some leaves for the top

Pouring some of the caramel sugar over the dumplings will not hurt

8 comments:

Trish said...

Those are truly magnificent. What a beautiful way to serve apples!

Dori said...

I have never had an apple dumpling to this day... these are so tempting and yummy :)

tasteofbeirut said...

These are the best-looking apple dumplings I have seen! You could put the Cheesecake Factory out of business with these! Great idea to use a pate sablée, will definitely taste 100 times better!
That's one pastry I admit I have never tried: It seemed like too much trouble!

Rajani@eatwritethink said...

these look great!! i am sure much better than apple pie, with all the nuts and fruit inside!! a whole apple :)

Arlette said...

Hello Ladies,
million thanks for your visits and kind comment. This dessert is a true show stopper and the taste is worth all the work. Try it and let me know...

sabah said...

This recipe is new for me, thanks for sharing it with us Arlette.

Dewi said...

Oh my gosh, this is absolutely delicious dumpling. Love apple.

Amal said...

Hi Arlette!!
How are you
I'm back..
Thank you a lot for your visit
I've never had an apple dumpling, thank you for sharing..!
Take care