Monday, February 9, 2009

Roasted Pigeons - Asafeer Mhamarah



Pigeons , Tabbouleh and Lebanese Red Wine


My baby brother Simon went bird's hunting with his friends end of Summer, and he had around 100 birds to bring home, they ate some and left the rest in the freezer, promising me the next feast , I will get some photos to share since this is uncommon in North America, and I would like to share with you, since its a delicacy in Europe and the Middle East.

Its very simple to prepare soon as you get your birds, boil some water and soak the birds in the hot water for couple of minutes , to help you clean the feather , then you open the stomach and clean the inside, wash them in clean cold water for couple of times using flour and lemon juice then drain them. Put in the fridge either to cook them immediately or in freezer bag to freeze.




Cooking direction

in a non stick frying pan or pot with a lid, add couple of spoons of olive oil, with couple of spoons of butter, add the birds, cover the pot and let them cook on medium heat making sure to keep your eye to turn them to the other side when browned, it will take around 15-20 minutes.

to finish the pot either squeeze 2 - 3 lemons and add them to the pot and stir to combine, or first your can add some cognac and get it on fire then add the lemon juice.

Its simple, tasty delicacy and part of the Lebanese Mezza.








1- My brother Simon hunting

2- my sister Mona and my sister in law Natalie, and my niece Miss Thea

3- my sister Madelene and mom`s hand

1 comment:

tasteofbeirut said...

Would you believe I have never had asafeer?
They are supposed to be so good! Great post!